Home Forums Specific Topic Forums Seizures Pros and Cons of Various Seizure Meds – Prescription or Over the Counter (OTC) Reply To: Pros and Cons of Various Seizure Meds – Prescription or Over the Counter (OTC)

#1011 Score: 0
Bonnie

Hi Deb – I did a google search and found this:

http://www.epilepsy.com/medications/b_depakote_side

Two other “drug” info sites I looked at did not list bone loss as a potential side effect. But this one does. Perhaps bone loss has been only recently linked with depakote.

The epilepsy.com web site does mention weight gain, and bone loss toward the bottom. It also recommends taking calcium and vitamin D and getting a bone scan.

Why does your new neuro think weight gain and bone loss are due to the depakote (as opposed to something else)? Have you been given any recommendations re increasing bone mass (or, will you see your gynecologist or regular doc about this)?

I take keppra (generic) for simple partial seizures. It works well for me. I do have some of the more common side effects but do my best to deal with them via lifestyle. One plus is that keppra is metabolized via your kidneys rather than liver, so there are few if any drug interaction issues. It is recommended that plenty of water be drunk to aid in the metabolism of the keppra.

I know others on Its Just Benign use the other meds you mention – hopefully they will respond.

Bonnie 🙂