To answer Beth’s original question, I cope with the stress & symptoms in a variety of ways:
– distract myself (with music, food, tv)
– acknowledge how I feel instead of distracting myself & ignoring my feelings
– discuss with therapist who works with a log of patients with brain injuries
– write in journal
– participate in support group
– participate in discussion groups like this one
– remind myself that the symptoms are normal, and do what I can to alleviate them or to minimize their impact. For example: when symptoms become more pronounced, I check to see whether I’ve become more congested. If so, I manage that with natural remedies or Sudafed. If over-fatigue has contributed, I adjust my sleep schedule. Taking action helps my outlook, because I don’t feel powerless.
– I remind myself of the good things in my day…I write them in a journal.