Home Forums Support and Opinion Forums Open Discussion Forum Facial Pain after jaw muscle cut during surgery – Anyone else? Reply To: Facial Pain after jaw muscle cut during surgery – Anyone else?

#1256 Score: 0
Helen S

I had a trigeminal schwannoma removed six months ago because it was causing facial nerve pain on my left side near my chin. My scar is about the same as yours (just on the left side) and I have a crater at my left temple. My surgeon said it is because the muscle there is weakened/died and there was no way to bringing it back. For the first few months, I still continued to have facial nerve pain, but that has went away. The only side effects that still linger are slight numbness on the left side of my face near my chin, ringing/drumming in my left ear, sensitivity at and around the scar, and occasional plugging of the left ear. I also can’t open my mouth very wide or chew hard foods because they cut through the chewing muscle on the left side to get to the tumor. I don’t really don’t have any pain relief suggestions, but in terms of my mouth, I practice opening my mouth as wide as I can and continuing to chew on my left side whenever possible to strengthen that muscle.