Home Forums Specific Topic Forums Migraines Depakote for Migraines? What Other Meds Work?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Peggy C

I have several different kinds of migraines based on the triggers. I am currently taking Verapamil, which is a calcium blocker as well as a vascular dilator and it has been working for a while. I did the Depakote thing but if you miss your med it can cause a seizure…not worth it. Each medication works for a while, some longer than others. But, as your body gets used to it higher doses may be required which can cause more side effects. Seek out a Neurologist who specializes in brain tumors and migraines. He/she has to be familiar with both. My guy will be retiring soon and I went through several to find him. So, I must search again. Remember too that you can have rebound headaches from too much of tylenol or advil. I found when I didn’t want the heavier meds and tried to treat with over the counter the pain caused me to take a little too much of one or the other and boom, headache after headache.
      Good luck

• #991 Score: 0
      Debbie H

I have been taking Depakote for migraines for about 6 months. I was on Keppra before that and it had terrible side effects! I was feeling GREAT until about 6 weeks ago when the manufacture quit making the particular generic I was taking. A switch of manufacturers has thrown my body into a whirlwind.

I feel horrible. I did speak to my pharmacist who got depakote from yet another manufacturer (at no charge) but I still do not feel right. I am dizzy, lightheaded, have no energy or motivation,depressed and have memory loss. I am going to have to change meds again. I can hardly get through the day like this.

I was wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms?
      What other meds has anyone taken to prevent migraines without so many side effects? I have optical migraines so the type of meds might be different.

I would appreciate any help from someone out there. The one year mark of my brain tumor and surgery is coming up and I am ready to get back to normal!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.