Home Forums Specific Topic Forums Religious Forum God is bigger than religion

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ian K

I think it is also significant to recognize that there has not been a society on the planet who has been successful in the long term without having some sort of religion. I suppose modern China is trying to defy that, but in general, there seems to be something intrinsic to our existence in relying on some sort of faith. Perhaps that is product of belief and faith making people “happier” or at least, more “comfortable.” Some people may write human comfort off as just a byproduct of our ability to understand the world around us, but maybe it’s a little more complex than that.

• #926 Score: 0
      Beth Rosenthal

I really prayed once before my first operation. I felt nauseated from the tumor. I didn’t know about the tumor then, so I prayed to G-D not to vomit. I didn’t vomit. Should I believe in G-D because s/he did what I asked? I think it’s important to have a belief that is bigger than human beings, but it’s hard for me to believe in something that I can’t see.

Maybe if my mom said “Beth I say G-D today and he wore a green jacket” but, it’s hard for me to believe.
      Now I understand the benefits to believing. You’re a happier person. I know women who believe and they are awesome women. Believing probably would make me happier.

• #923 Score: 0
      Ian K

If you take a model plane in a box, before you open it, and just start shaking it, it will never build itself into a model plane. The fact is that the fabrication of the universe is so infinitely impossible that there is no way that this is all coincidence. Any microbiologist would agree. We search for miracles in an endless way, hoping to see things that defy the laws of physics, expecting that God can surely do those things, but I just don’t think that any amount of “divine magic” is proof of anything. If we are but coincidence, with nothing greater tied to the existence of us and the universe, then just try explaining quantum mechanics. Check out this video along with the other Doctor Quantum videos and I think you’ll see the sort of thing that I’m talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

Again, I don’t think of God as some big incorporial man in the sky. I don’t even think of God as a person; it’s more of an essence, an understanding, a “je ne se quoi.”

• #921 Score: 0
      Ian K

After my battle with a brain tumor that lasted for several months, I have, after several years, come to the conclusion that I don’t think God knows what religion is – it’s a term that we made up. I absolutely believe that there is a God, but I don’t believe that he is a big man, or woman for that matter, in the sky. Nor do I think God is sitting up in heaven passing judgment on every person for every little thing that they do. While I don’t remember being in the hospital, I have to believe that there were times when I began to doubt my faith and if I didn’t, it was because I was scared of dying and going to hell. But I don’t think that God would do that to us since we are so much smaller, feebler and more inexperienced with life. I just think of God as an essence, something that permeates everything and spans the universe. I think that religions point to God, but that they don’t really understand God; they just want to.

I think that we’re all just down here waiting for a sign and we haven’t yet realized that we’re not that far down. I could go on explaining my theology for hours, but I’ll leave it at that for now. What do you think?After my battle with a brain tumor that lasted for several months, I have, after several years, come to the conclusion that I don’t think God knows what religion is – it’s a term that we made up. I absolutely believe that there is a God, but I don’t believe that he is a big man, or woman for that matter, in the sky. Nor do I think God is sitting up in heaven passing judgment on every person for every little thing that they do. While I don’t remember being in the hospital, I have to believe that there were times when I began to doubt my faith and if I didn’t, it was because I was scared of dying and going to hell. But I don’t think that God would do that to us since we are so much smaller, feebler and more inexperienced with life. I just think of God as an essence, something that permeates everything and spans the universe. I think that religions point to God, but that they don’t really understand God; they just want to.

I think that we’re all just down here waiting for a sign and we haven’t yet realized that we’re not that far down. I could go on explaining my theology for hours, but I’ll leave it at that for now. What do you think?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.