Home Forums Specific Topic Forums Migraines How to Manage or Deal with the Pain

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by July 28, 2017 at 4:17 pm.

• Author

Lesley B

Oh boy! Headaches and migraines have been part of my daily life for over 40 years!

I think I have just learned to put up with their reality. Sure I have found some short term “cures” but I still frequently live my life, working, sleeping, trying to make myself sleep with the banging, pressure, nausea. I’ve had my surgeons tell me that migraines are not part of my after surgery life, while others agree it is related. Pain management…. I’ve tried clinics for pain management, various medications which make me feel over drugged… and cause mental brian fog (worse than I deal with all day long). One neurosurgeon put me on a combination of magnesium and b12 and folic acid….just as a preventative measure and that has become the cheapest way to avoid the start of the migraine day in and day out. I do find that sleep deprivation and stress have lots to do with the onset of my migraines along with humidity, smells, and lighting. Some of these factors are outside my control since i still need to work to support myself, but who has sick leave that can accommodate frequent headaches? Just thought I’d get this off my chest!

• #985 Score: 0

Debbie H

Amanda, It has been about 16 months since my surgery. My migraines are definitely related to the brain tumor and surgery, I never had headaches prior to the surgery. My pain ranges from mild to very severe. It usually comes on suddenly, but sometimes I wake up with a dull ache and it gets worse as the day goes on. I read somewhere that B vitamins help decrease the migraine pain. I have started taking B6 and B12 and I do believe it has helped decrease the intensity. I take excedrin migraine or 3 ibuprofen when I feel a dull ache and that often time keeps it at bay. I have ended up in the ER with major narcotics and I hope not to have to do that ever again. Often I have to just go to bed for hours or days. I just hate it! Another thing that has helped is yellow/brown tinted sunglasses. Good luck. I hope some of this will help you. I just have to manage one day at a time.
    Debbie

• #987 Score: 0

Amanda

Thanks, Debbie! Although I hate that you are suffering too, it is just nice to know Im not alone in this. I keep hearing about vitamin b for a variety of things and will look into that for sure. Landing in the ER for heavy meds is never any fun and I avoid it at all costs although, sometimes it seems unavoidable. Thanks for responding! I will keep the sunglasses tip in mind, too! Hope you are doing well, Amanda

• #983 Score: 0

Amanda

I am a few years out from surgery and continue to experience headaches/migraines. I take a daily medication to help prevent but there are also days that the pain is so intense. The doctors have said that part of this is just part of the process or that, in addition to the tumor/surgery pain, I also have migraines. How long post treatment/surgery have you experienced head pain and do your docs feel that its surgery/recovery related or a separate migraine diagnosis? Also, any suggestions about pain management? Desperate for input! Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.